Sunday 5 March 2017

Will Martial Arts stop my Child getting picked on?


Martial Arts will definitely help the situation... I am not saying Martial arts will stop your Child getting picked on. There may be several factors causing it... 

You may need to look to additional help in the form of alerting your Childs’ school, if it happens there or report it to the enforcement authorities if it happens outside school.

Martial arts cover a number of areas both from your Childs point of reference and that of the person/group that is offending... Areas like confidence, awareness and tools to deal with this kind of unfortunate situation.


Confidence and mind control.

This is dealing with your Childs confidence and mind... There needs to be an air of ‘no one is going to pick on me’, transcending to an air of ‘I don’t get picked on... there is something about me that just repels bullies, trouble makers and the like.

When she reaches this level of mind control and that is what it is. She’ll be less of a target.
You’ll say and do the right things which preclude you from the oppressors gaze.

The question is how do you do that?


The Body.

You do that systematically over time by showing up to the dojo, learning and practicing all the aspects of the art, which in turn builds confidence... With increased confidence, your mind becomes convinced of its capabilities and the body’s capabilities...

So, your self talk goes from ‘I hope I don’t run into such and such or get picked on by those horrible people’ to ‘Wow, I can look after myself and without hurting anyone, unless I choose to do so. I can run rings around anyone who tries to take advantage of me’

With this self talk, the body walks tall, the face is relaxed, an aura, noticeable aura of self confidence oozes from your Child... This translates to a confident verbalisation to those around, friend or foe that we are looking at a new and improved version You.


Situational awareness and self defence.

In Martial Arts, as part of the training, we do self defence drills and they are practiced regularly... Starting with the basics and moving to an advanced level over time.

Now, I can tell you categorically that just knowing the basics, puts you head and shoulders above most of the day to day run ins your Child may encounter...

It becomes even more effective when you combine it with regular practice, consistently over time till it is second nature an ‘art’.

To add to that you are pitting yourself regularly against other Martial artists who have honed a skill of offence and defence consistently over time as well.
 
The above puts you in a very good position to deal with most situations.

Building confidence, step by step.

The overseer.

So, you have built up your confidence, mind control, physically trained your body to a high degree, then honed awareness, self defence and fighting skills.

Then taken all that and wrapped it in a philosophy, value, integrity that says I will only use my skills in the defence of myself and others, I will be humble and seek to resolve rather than antagonise.

Exercise patience with my fellow people, regardless of race or creed...

It is this level of ascension that separates the good, committed martial artist who makes this art a ‘way of life’ from most of the atrocities that life throws at you.

So, Yes, I’m saying you’ll get so much more from this than availing yourself of whoever wants to pick on you.

I said earlier you’ll need to get additional support, because there are always exceptions to the norm... Yours may be one. But if you are asking if Martial Arts will stop your child getting picked on? 

The answer is; it will definitely help reduce or stop it.


Please leave a comment below to get in touch or have any questions answered.

Thank you for taking the time.

No comments :

Post a Comment