Wednesday 29 March 2017

The Future of Martial Arts... One Man’s view



Hello Friends,

More of a good ramble, than a post you’ll learn a great deal from. But a good ramble can do wonders sometimes... Especially if you are already on the same wavelength.

It's All Good


Rationale

We are in the age of reason, of rationalisation... We have traditional martial arts clinging onto history and purism. 

On the other hand, we have modern martial arts throwing everything into the melting pot.
It is not a case of which is better, it’s a case of different purposes.

Our needs as a race have changed drastically from what it was and so have our martial arts needs.


Experience

I love the traditional elements of martial arts... But my first 4 years of Martial arts were taught to me by my friend Simon... Before eventually joining the club he belonged to.

So, how interesting it was to see first-hand how we interpret things differently. My friend Simon had been a member for several years before I met him and I found that some of his teachings were identical to that of the club, some similar, but with his own twist on things.

But then there were a number of things I’d learnt from Simon over the years which were what he felt, based on his years of training were the better ways to do things.

In my experience since, I have found this tendency to be consistently the case. And that is human nature... We are creators, we will continue to create and adapt to suit our needs.

I said in my last post which you can find here... The traditional art is hard and repetitive. But I believe it will give you a foundation like no other.

A foundation you can then build upon whatever martial art-form you want, knowing it is built on solid ground and will stay up... 

Solid foundation


Individuality

Good character or good manipulation skills... Which is better? It depends on the situation.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Popularity, mainstream or confined, secret, mysterious.

We are all individuals but even in its purest form, martial arts endured individuality for hundreds of years and so with the secret out in the open... Martial Arts is big and bold enough to outlast and endure all forms of modern life’s evolution of its art.

The essence or the heart of the art will still remain.


The future

Just because we have worked tirelessly to adapt this art doesn’t mean we won’t be back at some time in the future trying to restore it to its original condition and call it classic.

So I think the future for Martial Arts is a bright one... One where it will sustain its hold on our fascination of it and maybe even a greater hold in future as we adapt it to suit our needs completely.
 
Yes, that will mean more people taking part in martial arts, over a longer period of time...
Bringing us ever closer to my adopted take on it... “Martial Arts... The way of life” by so many authors, including Douglas L. Wong.



Please leave a comment or ask me a question in the box below.

Thank you for taking the time

No comments :

Post a Comment